S32 - Hands Off

At 9:55 I called 8th Wonder so that by 10, I was on the roof and ready. Ryan came up in his suit. He nodded and pulled on his mask. Then we spoke telepathically.

"Thanks for coming along tonight," he said.

"No problem. Any specific reason why you wanted me to come?"

Streak floated into the air and I followed. "We wanted to see how you do on patrol. I thought it'd be fun if you and I went together."

"By 'we' you mean the Super Seven?"

"Yes."

We rose higher in the sky and glided over the skyscrapers.

"So is this a test or are we just patrolling?"

Streak shook his head. "No, this is normal patrol. No tests planned." He turned toward East Park and I followed. Streak looked over at me and smiled. "Looks like you're comfortable flying now. Definitely doesn't seem like you've been up in the air for only a few weeks."

"Well, thank you. 8th Wonder is a good teacher." 8th Wonder smiled in my mind. "Look, Ryan, is this leading to an invitation for me to join the Super Seven? Because I'm not sure--"

"I don't know." He cut me off. "Atom hasn't said anything, but it seems like you'll get an invitation."

We were over the trees of East Park now. I could see a breeze moving through the upper branches. Night had set and I could feel a chill in the air. Streak and I circled around the park. A bolt of energy shot up into the sky. It rushed between us, closer to Streak. He turned and spun in the air. I flew over and below him as he regained his balance.

"What was that?" he asked as he straightened in the air above me.

I scanned the ground below. 8th Wonder helped me trace the energy downward. "There." I pointed. "I'll check it out." I dove downward toward the source. As I was heading down, another energy bolt rushed past me, but whoever shot it wasn't aiming at me. I turned and looked upward. Ryan! The bolt hit him square in the chest. He seemed suspended in the air for a second and then he fell.

I looked between his body and the ground. He had about a hundred feet to fall. Not much time for me to figure out what do to. What could I do? I'd set him on fire if I tried to catch him. I looked down again, but I couldn't see the source of the energy bolt. I flew over, in the area between Streak and the ground. 8th Wonder sifted through my thoughts, giving me ideas while I panicked.

I lifted my arms, or rather, 8th Wonder told me to lift my arms. Air rushed around me, up above me and around Ryan's body. I felt the whirlwind circling tightly, creating a cushion of air between Ryan and me. "This is good," I thought. "But can I...let me see." I moved out to the side and turned, holding the whirlwind under Ryan but I wasn't under him anymore. His fall slowed and I lowered him to the ground. I looked over his body. He was breathing but unconscious. "Find where that energy came from," I thought. 8th Wonder was already on it. I felt my senses strain, reaching out in every direction.

Then I felt a spark. I turned and moved so that I was between Ryan and the source of the energy. "Try to finish him if that's what you want." I thought. A dare to the open air.

A moment later, a short, fat man came out of the brush. He was wearing a black hat, black mask, and a blue vest over a black shirt and pants. The vest formed a large M over his upper body. He reminded me a little of the Burglar from those old McDonald's commercials, but I knew who this was: Mr. Mayhem.

He stopped when he moved into the clearing. "What do we have here?" He looked at me and started to circle. I saw he wore some sort of backpack with buttons and switches on the side. That's what generated the energy he shot at Streak.

I moved so that I stayed between him and Ryan.

Mr. Mayhem stopped and smiled at me. "Well, I heard the rumors, but I didn't know what to believe. Here you are, the burning woman. 8th Wonder."

I couldn't say anything to him. Didn't have anything to say anyway.

He peered around me. "I'm a good shot sometimes, but I guess you won't let me finish him off. Arrogant 'superheroes' in this city. I spent a year in jail because of Streak." He pointed at Ryan behind me. Then Mr. Mayhem laughed and paced back and forth. "Well, technically I have lots more time to spend in jail. They should tighten up security. No special powers and I got out."

I watched him carefully.

He looked up at me again. "Oh, you're new in town. Right, how rude of me. I'm Mr. Mayhem." He tipped his hat to me. "Last year I blew up Liberty Bridge and Streak there interfered. I was in my prime, in the middle of Big Plans, and then the heroes had to step in." He pulled the energy gun from his backpack and aimed at me. "Move aside."

I held my ground. 8th Wonder reassured me that I could absorb and manipulate nearly every kind of energy without getting hurt. I wasn't going to let Mayhem get past me.

"Last chance, 8th Wonder."

I didn't move.

Mayhem pulled the trigger and blue fiery energy rushed toward me. I held out my hand and the energy curved around me, dissipating in the air. He flipped a switch on the gun and shot again. This time the energy came out more focused, into a bolt. I deflected it and it shot back at Mayhem's feet. He jumped back in surprise. I shot my own energy burst at him, and he fell on to his back. I floated over his body. He was unconscious, but otherwise uninjured.

"Dr. Atom," I thought, "I'm in East Park. Streak is hurt. I stopped Mr. Mayhem. I need police, and I need one of the Super Seven for back up."

Dr. Atom replied a few seconds later. "On it. Are you hurt, Molly?"

"No, I'm fine."

I felt a rush of wind and then Jet was standing next to me. She smiled at me and gave me a small salute. She glanced at Mayhem and then knelt next to Streak. She felt his pulse at his neck and deftly moved her hands over his ribs, his arms, and his legs. "Nothing seems to be broken," she said aloud. "I can take him to back to headquarters. Will you come?"

I looked back at Mr. Mayhem.

"Oh."

A white blur circled the nearest tree, then came back toward me. Jet picked up Mayhem and then circled the tree a few more times. When Jet stopped, she walked back to Streak. I looked at Mr. Mayhem tied to the tree. Good enough until the police showed up.

"So I'll see you back at headquarters?"

I nodded.

"Okay. You did a good job here." She bent down and lifted Streak in her arms. Then she ran, air whooshing behind her.

I rose up into the air. Above the trees, I could see police cars parking on the street. They'd be untying Mr. Mayhem from the tree in seconds. I turned and flew back to HQ.