S30 - Numb

I put on a t-shirt and sweat pants. Then I locked the window, grabbed my key, and knocked on Ryan's door.

He opened it, saw me, and opened it wider. "Hey."

"Hi," I said. "Is it too late?"

"No, come in."

I walked into his apartment and sat on the couch.

"Want anything to drink?"

"Glass of water, thanks."

Ryan came back with a glass of water, handed it to me, and sat next to me. "So what's up?"

"I was just at HQ as 8th Wonder. Saw Dr. Atom."

"Ah, how was that?" The look he was giving me said he had an idea about how it went.

"Atom treated me like a science experiment. Data collection time."

Ryan nodded. "That's what he does. I'm sorry."

I shrugged. "It wasn't a big deal. What's a big deal is that I can communicate with 8th Wonder. I finally have answers to what's going on. But all Atom cared about was classifying 8th Wonder's energy."

"Yeah, that's what he cares about the most, cold science. But how did the test run go? Everything okay?"

"Oh, yeah. It was really good." I smiled. "I'm sorry, I just needed to vent and you're the only one I could talk to."

"I know, and it's fine. I've been wondering about something, now that you remember when 8th Wonder comes."

"Yeah?"

"Does it hurt?"

"When she's with me."

Ryan nodded. "I mean, it looks like you're burning."

I shook my head. "But I'm not. It's weird, I know. I saw myself in the mirror and everything is bright, burning energy, but I feel fine. Normal." Ryan yawned, and then I did. I stood up. "Well, it looks like we're both ready for sleep. Thanks for letting me vent."

"Any time." He smiled at me. "Good night, Molly."

"Good night." I went back to my apartment and straight to bed.