S33 - The Me in Team

I flew over the fence at HQ and  up to Dr. Atom's lab. The window was open for me. I glided into the room and moved to the curtain at the back corner. 8th Wonder's light left my body. I pulled on a patient's robe and walked back to the center of the room.

The lights were blinking on the lab's consoles, but no one was in the room. I didn't know where they'd be taking care of Streak, so I asked Dr. Atom.

"I'm in your lab. Where are you?"

Jet appeared in the doorway. "Hey." She smiled at me. "The doc sent me. We're down in the medical wing. You can come with me."

I nodded and followed her into the hallway. "Thanks for coming to the park."

"No problem. You had everything taken care of when I got there."

"How's Streak? Is he awake?"

"Doc says he'll be fine. Streak woke up with a headache, but otherwise he's okay. Good thing you were there, though. Who knows what Mayhem would've done."

I shrugged. "Kill him."

Jet looked sideways at me. She held the door open for me, and I walked over to Ryan.

"Hey." I smiled at him and looked him over. He had a few bruises on his arms and legs, but nothing serious considering his fall.

He reached out for my hand. "Hey yourself. I hear you saved my life."

I nodded. "Part of the deal. Get superpowers, help people." I looked up as Dr. Atom came back into the room.

"Hi, Molly. Streak is going to be fine, so you don't have to worry about him. You did good work out there. Discreet. Efficient."

"Thanks. 8th Wonder and I make a great team."

Ryan sat up in the bed and Jet moved in so we were in a circle. Ryan, me, Jet, and Dr. Atom.

"About teams," Jet said, "we've got an invitation for you."

I looked over at Dr. Atom.

"What do you think, Molly? Will you join the Super Seven? We could use you on our side."

I glanced at Ryan and then replied. "I'll always be on your side, Dr. Atom. That's not the question." I shrugged. "How about I start part-time and we'll go from there."

Dr. Atom nodded. "Sounds good to me."

Ryan squeezed my hand and smiled when I looked at him. He didn't say a word, but I heard what he wanted to say: "The girl next door with a secret. Who would have guessed you'd be the blazing light in the sky?"

- fin -