S13 - Good Morning

I woke up on the couch in Ryan's apartment. I sat up and looked around. Sunlight streamed into the room around the curtains. My head felt fine, so I tried standing up.

"Ryan?" I assumed he wouldn't leave me alone here. "Ryan, are you here?"

He walked out from his bedroom wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. "Oh, you're up. Good." He smiled at me and walked straight into the kitchen. "What do you feel like eating?"

I walked after him. "What time is it?"

"About seven. How did you sleep?" He ducked into the refrigerator.

"Fine." I yawned. "You don't have to make me breakfast though. I'm just going to go back home."

Ryan turned around with an egg carton and orange juice in his hands. "No, I want to make you breakfast. Have a seat." He nodded to the small kitchen table.

I sat down and he pulled sliced bread out of a cupboard. He turned toward me and leaned against the counter. "So what do you want to eat? Eggs, toast?"

"That sounds good. Scrambled eggs, please."

"Coming right up." He smiled at me again and turned on the stove.

"So did you check out my apartment while I was asleep?"

He paused for a moment and then said, "Yes. Sorry, I didn't want to wait until you woke up." He put two slices of bread into the toaster.

I shrugged. "No, it's fine. That's why you have the spare key. Find anything?"

"Nothing seems to be out of place. Nothing broken. Just the window was open." He cracked two eggs into a bowl and started beating them with a fork.

"That's what I thought."

He turned toward me and narrowed his eyes. "You thought the window would be open?"

"Yeah. Listen, there's something I didn't tell you back at Super Seven's headquarters. I didn't like being there, and I didn't want to add more details I didn't understand."

"What are you saying, Molly?" He leaned back against the counter and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Last night wasn't the first time I've woken up naked with no memory of what happened. The difference was every other time, I woke up back in my apartment."

Ryan turned around and poured the eggs into the frying pan. "Do you remember anything from the other times?"

"No. I always wake up not knowing what happened."

He moved the eggs around with a spatula. "Any guesses why you didn't wake up back home yesterday?"

"None."

The toaster popped up. Ryan picked up the toast and moved the scrambled eggs on to a plate. He brought the plate to me along with butter and a glass of orange juice.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."  Ryan cracked two more eggs into a bowl and put two more slices of bread in the toaster. "Molly, don't take this the wrong way, but are you on any medication?"

"No." I started eating the eggs and toast.

"Can you think of any reason this is happening to you?"

"Nope."

"Have you ever been involved in magic? Wicca? That kind of thing."

"No. I think you'd know if I was."

He nodded. "When was the first time it happened?"

"About six months ago." Third degree, much?

"Before I moved here."

"Yeah, but it's been happening more often in the past couple months."

Ryan put his hand on my shoulder before he sat down with his plate of food. "Molly, why didn't you tell me about it?"

I laughed. "Okay, Mr. Superhero. We were just getting to know each other. I didn't want to inject any crazy into our relationship."

He smiled. "Fair enough. About that, how did you find out who I am?"

"I heard you come in on the balcony a few times. Saw your cape once. Then the rest fell into place."

"You make it sound so simple."

"It was, after I convinced myself I wasn't imagining things."

Ryan nodded. "Were you going to tell me you knew?"

"I was waiting for the right time. Or maybe for you to trust me enough to tell me."

"No offense, I don't think I would have told you."

"None taken."

"It's just that I haven't told anyone about being the Streak."

"Fair enough. You can trust me to keep it a secret."

"Yeah, I know."  Ryan picked up his fork and ate.

It was weird, how normal our breakfast was and how extraordinary the conversation.