S25 - In Ideas

Meditation sessions with Link are always at HQ, usually after I'm done at work. Today he explained to me how everyone has "low-level telepathy." The catch is, most people don't realize they can access that ability.

"So how does it work?" I asked him. I was sitting on the floor cross-legged. We already went through the parts about clearing my mind and keeping distracting thoughts out.

"You can think of telepathy as a foreign language," he said. "At least that's how you should think about it when you're trying to communicate with 8th Wonder."

"Because we don't know if she understands English." At this point, I was still sitting on the floor. Link usually leans against the far wall.

"Right," he said. "So try this for me. Think of tree, but you have to think of it as a concept. Pretend I don't know what the word means."

Tree, I thought. As a concept. But 8th Wonder is even more foreign than someone who doesn't speak English. How would I explain a tree to someone who hasn't seen a tree before?

I started by thinking of what a tree looks like. I imagined green leaves in spring. Bare branches in the winter. How bark looks. More than visuals. I thought about trees blooming. That smell. I thought about the leaves changing colors. Rough bark. Damp ground in the tree's shade.

"That's good," Link whispered. He can read surface thoughts without entering minds, so when everything else is cleared out and I'm only thinking about trees, that's what he sees.

More than what a tree is. I thought about tree houses. Children climbing trees. Cutting down trees. Firewood.

"Good, that's really good, Molly."

I opened my eyes. He was still leaning on the far wall. "So what happens if both people speak the same language? Do you have to stick to concepts?" I asked.

"If you can keep your thoughts clear and direct, you can send messages in English. As if you're talking, but only using your mind. But otherwise, it's best to send concepts."

Link walked over and held out his hand. I took it and stood up. I still haven't figured out how he walks right to me. Or how he knows where the walls and door are. I've never seen him with a walking stick inside HQ.

"That's enough for today," he said. "Good work."